Thursday, September 20, 2012

Banana Streusel Muffins


It’s beginning to feel like Fall in our neck of the woods and I was in the mood for a tasty, Fall treat!  I remember my mother and grandmother always baking banana bread and filling the house with its sweet aroma.  I wanted to try something just a little different; so I made banana streusel muffins.  And, boy, were they yummy!  So yummy that I decided to share the recipe with you! 
Put these delicious banana treats in a Rubbermaid container with a tight fitting lid and they won’t dry out for days!  If you decide to give them a try, please stop by and let me know how they turned out! 

Start with 1 t. vanilla, 3 mashed bananas, ¾ c. sugar, 1 egg, 3 1/3 T. butter, and 2 T. oil.
 Beat until well combined.  You should end up with something that looks like this:

***Please excuse my pictures… I didn’t have my camera handy, so I had to take them with my phone!***

Dump in 1 ½ c. AP flour, 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. baking powder, ½ t. salt, 1 T. cinnamon, and ½ t. nutmeg.


Whisk until combined.  DO NOT OVERMIX.
At this point, it may not look… edible.  You’ll just have to trust me ;)

Spoon the batter into a greased muffin tin, dividing it between all twelve cups.
Don’t look at my muffin tin.  It’s been through a lot.

The next step can be done with a fork OR two knives OR a pastry blender;
 but, it’s easiest with a food processer.

Throw 1/3 c. brown sugar, 2 T. AP flour, 1 t. cinnamon, and 1 T. COLD butter into your food processer.
Process until itty-bitty balls form.

Top batter with streusel topping.

Bake for about 18 minutes and… VOILA!


Yum!  Hope your family enjoys them as much as we did!





Banana Streusel Muffins
1 ½ c. AP flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 T. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
1 t. vanilla
3 mashed bananas
¾ c. sugar
1 egg
3 1/3 T. butter
2 T. oil

Streusel Topping

1/3 c. brown sugar
2 T. AP flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 T. COLD butter

Preheat oven to 375°
Pour mashed bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter, oil and vanilla into stand mixer bowl and beat until well combined.  Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk together until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. 
Using a food processer, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cold butter until small balls form. (This can also be done in a bowl with a pastry blender.)
Spoon batter into greased muffin tin.   Top batter with streusel topping. 
Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks. 
YIELD: 12 muffins


1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that these were YUMMY! :) Moist and delicious. The streusel topping was a definite plus.

    ReplyDelete